Canadian Federation of University Women Leaside-East York, monthly meeting, Thurs. April 18, Northlea United Church, 125 Broadway, 7.30 p.m. Terry Fallis, author and winner of Canada Reads and Stephen Leacock Award for Humour. Visitors and new members welcome. www.leaside.org/cfuw
North Leaside Women’s Group, Tues. at 9:30 a.m., Northlea United Church, 125 Brentcliffe.. Visitors welcome, free coffee & tea.
- Apr. 2, 419 – A Novel, book discussion & trade. All books $1, proceeds to NLWG.
- Apr. 9, Sabina Ali, project co-ordinator of the Thorncliffe Park Women’s Committee which organizes programs that include community markets, arts in the park, and nature walks.
- Apr. 16, Terry Fallis, author of Up and Down, The Best Laid Plans and The High Road.
- Apr. 23, Jenny’s Surprise? About interests and talents of our own members.
- Apr. 30, TeAlchemy founder Lynda Budd, local mom and tea sommelier.
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehab Hospital, 150 Kilgour, 7-9 p.m., Wed., Apr. 3, Kindercircle’s Alyson Schafter, interactive session on why children misbehave. $20 per person, $35 per couple. Email for info, 416-424-3818.
Northlea United Church, 125 Brentcliffe, 10:30 a.m. Sun., Apr. 28, service to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Town of Leaside. Guest speaker Jane Pitfield. www.northleaunited.ca or 416-425-5252.
Leaside Library, 165 McRae, April, 416-396-3835.
- Art Exhibit: On Site 2 by Mary Elizabeth Duggan, Monday Apr. 1-30, Community Room.
- The Science of Fiction or Why Reading Novels is Good for You, Wed., Apr. 3, 7 p.m. Dr. Keith Oatley, professor emeritus, Department of Applied Psychology and Human Development (U of T).
- Monday Afternoon Book Club, Mon., Apr. 8, 2 p.m. Six Metres of Pavement by Farzana Doctor. Drop in.
- Save this Book! with Leaside author Terry Fallis, Mon., Apr. 8, 7 p.m. What book would you save if a fire threatened your collection? Drop in.
- National Film Board (NFB): Status Quo: The Unfinished Business of Feminism in Canada, Fri., Apr. 12, 2 p.m., 87 minutes.
- Author Talk: Farzana Doctor, Mon., Apr. 15, 7 p.m. Drop in.
- Resumé Building, Wed., Apr. 17, 4 p.m. Summer job resumé building for teens 13+ with Natalie Johnson, St. Stephen’s Community House. Drop in.
- The Titanic Years and the Beginnings of Mass Tourism in Egypt, Thurs., Apr. 18, 7 p.m. Egyptology speaker and advanced Ph.D. candidate (U of T), Sherine ElSebaie. Drop in.
- Layers of Leaside, Tues., Apr. 23-27, Community Room. Exhibit on the history of Leaside presented by the Leaside 100 Committee.
- Interview Skills 101, Wed., Apr. 24, 4 p.m. Attention Teens: Natalie Johnson of St. Stephen’s Community House in an interactive workshop! Space limited. Register through the library.
- Youth Advisory Group (YAG) Meeting, Wed., Apr. 24, 6 p.m. Ongoing Last Wed. of month.
- Author Talk: Keith Bolender, author of Voices from the Other Side: An Oral History of Terrorism Against Cuba, Mon., Apr. 29, 7 p.m. Drop in.
Leaside Garden Society, monthly meeting in the Community room, Leaside Library, Thursday, April 11, 7:30 p.m. Peter Gill on Water Features. Memberships $2 single, $30 family.