Last month’s article “Art Deco architecture across Canada… and in Leaside, too” missed the former Leaside Railway Station, which has seen better days, but has an interesting history. A brick structure, built in Streamlined Moderne style in 1946, it replaced a wooden structure built in 1894, which was destroyed by fire in the 1940s. Passenger service ended in 1982, and between 1975 and 1983 the building was operated by the CPR as the Village Station Restaurant, and for a time after that was used as a CPR business centre and railway police office. Today it sits forlorn, having suffered repeated vandalism, south of the tracks, along from the car wash on Village Station Road.
Updates on 262 Bessborough Dr., Parkhurst Blvd. and a concern about the sudden appearance of a “tower home“ at 153 Rumsey Rd. The Elgie family home, 262 Bessborough, one of three remaining Leaside settler homes, …more
Not until 1928 was the need for a United Church in Leaside considered urgent. With the opening of the Leaside Viaduct in 1927, development of the community was rapid. Reverend James Miller canvassed the area …more